Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day one, walking tour

As of 8:30AM London time, I officially arrived at Heathrow Airport and begun my journey across the pond. I have been keeping a journal of today's activities whenever I gave myself a chance to sit down, which was occasionally rare.
01/08/09--9:13AM Arrived in London, on tube right now, Picadilly line. It cost 8 pounds to ride into central London, which is close to $14 USD. Watched 'I Love You, Man' on the plane. Quick plane ride, a little over 5 hours long. Maybe because of my silly American mind, but I found the announcement for the Tube line a bit hilarious, in a Posh british accent, "This is a Picadilly lien to Cockfosters."

11:25 AM Checked into the hostel. I'm in an incredibly small room with nine beds stacked 3 high. But it takes 3 locked doors to get to Room 13 where I occupy the middle bunk on the far left. It felt safe enough to leave my large luggage on my bed instead of lugging it around the city. Presently I am sitting at an outside table in an ally off of Russell Square. They have a chicken special for 4.95, so I seized the opportunity to sit and collect my thoughts...(after the chicken special) I now realize why brits are made fun of because of their cooking. THe chicken was quite dry, and the chips were only good when covered in horseradish sauce, but it was cheap...ish. Now off to my next destination which is...I don't know where.

12:52 PM I'm starting the crash, all of the non-sleeping that has been going on PLUS a lot of walking is getting to me. But I stopped at a nice coffee house near St. Paul's Cathedral. Walked down to the river Thames after lunch and saw a great view of the city with Big Ben, The Eye, and The Tower of London all in my scope. From the Hostel, I walked down South Hampton Row and Kingsway (For those of you following with a map) The thing is, I actually remember buying a postcard or two for Laura, with a picture of Prince William on the front. This was right next to the TEMPLE Underground stop. Go figure. continuing on the Thames, I discovered how choppy the river can get. Wind is flying from every direction.
2:10 PM Sitting in St. Paul's Cathedral Cafe in the Crypts. Planning out a hidden walk taken from a book from the gift shop. It's about 2 km, 1.5 hours. It will take me around St. Paul's and Fleet St..

3:00PM In the nave of the Church of the Holy Selpulchre, an old which has many organ consoles, british war memeorials, old and tattered flags from the 15th century, the Musician's Chapel where there is a banner to St. Cecilia, and a Stained glass of Mary singing the Magnificat. Also, at the site, is the remains of Captain John Smith, sometimes Governor of Virginia and Admiral of New England. I had just left the Church of St. Martins within Ludgate, where William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, was married! I go all the way across the Atlantic Ocean and I keep running into American or colonial figures!

3:55 PM Sitting in Dr. Johnson's House, author of the Johnson Dictionary. There is an outdoor production of SWEENEY TODD being performed here on sunday out in the square. All the seats have been sold, but I am coming and standing in the back. I am so psyched! It is is small square that is completely hidden from major streets, and this performance is barley publicized. I only know about it from a small note on the door at Dr. Johnson's House. This sunday at 6:30PM, I must get here EARLY, maybe around 4:30PM to be safe.

4:30PM Finished my walking tour of the west side of the St. P's area, finishing with St. Bride's Chruch of Fleet St. That have rebuilt Sir Christopher Wren's church on top of the ruins from the blitz. They even hold services in the crypts of the original church. It has been called, 'The Journalist's Church' because the first printing press was moved there. Now I am back at the step of St. P's waiting for a 5:00PM evensong.

4:45PM Sitting in the choir stalls, and so close to where I sat as head chorister in the summer of 2003. This Cathedral is so large, and yet evensong uses so little space. When I asked if I could sit closer, the woman handing out leaflets and psalm books said, "Oh, you're here for worship? Wonderful!" Even in one of the largest and most grand cathedral in the world, there is still only 100 people here for Evensong.

5:45PM Sitting in the stalls of St. P's after the service. Abbots Leigh was sung as well as an anthem by William Byrd. 8 men on each side, and I could hear every voice individually and the blend of all their sounds. I had forgotten how beautiful plainsong chant was with reverberation, letting the whole step ring while we constantly hear the reciting note. Absolutely amazing

It is 7:50Pm right now as I update myself on the internet, sitting in the Hostel's common room. It is supposed to be quite by 11PM, and I am afraid that I won't be able to sleep until then. But then again, I am pretty tired and will probably sleep through anything.

1 comment:

  1. Great travellogue - check out St. Botolph's Aldgate, just east of the City. Try Greenwich, the Royal Maritime Museum, also "where Time began," home of Greenwich Mean Time, and this amazing tunnel under the Thames from Greenwhich to the Isle of Dogs. The Anarchist Book Shop, on Angel Alley, and the Whitechapel Bell Foundry -- you will find more connections with 18th century America in all those places, too. Astounding, really, how close 18th century America is to 18th century England. Loved the Evensong note, too.

    ReplyDelete