Saturday, September 12, 2009

8 years later, in another country

A little late in the day, but still the eighth year since 9/11 and I remember it here London. I have yet to get into the habit of reading the Guardian or other London papers, and the fact is that it is not all over everywhere. In America, I am sure it is hard to forget what happened in New York any minute of today. However, over here I have only just remembered what day it is today. At the Museum of London, there is a book that gives a biography of the 52 men and women who lost their lives during the Tube Bombings in London on July 7th, 2005.

10/9/09 3:30PM Took a trip over to East London. Arriving at the Aldgate Tube stop, I turned left twice and found myself on Brick Lane, full of Indian cuisine and culture. Brick Lane is a chinatown southwest of the Himalayas. I belieeve David Ingram is taking our class on a tour of this area so I didn't spend too much time there. Went a bit west to find Spitfalls Market. There you can find old war jackets, gas masks,  old record, knick-knacks, weird books, old political cartoons about Hitler and Mussolini. I might have to come back later for gifts.

4:45PM Sitting in the Choir stalls at St. Paul's Cathedral for evensong. Went to the White Chapel Bell Foundry today, birthplace of the Liberty Bell, bicentennial bell, and Big Ben. A small shop owned by a single family. Very quaint for such a grand history. Came by St. Paul's because I was in the area at the right time. After worship, off to Oxford Circus before the show to get some socks.

11/9/09 2:22 PM Went to see 39 Steps last night. Absolutely fantastic. Slapstick physical humor, 130 characters, 4 actors, brilliant. Some scenes had actors change into 2 or 3  characters within 2 or 3 seconds with a change of a hat, literally, and a change of an accent. Whenever they could, they added an Alfred Hitchcock reference, even to have the silhouette of him on a hill during a chase scene done with shadow puppets. A truly great performance.
Afterwards, I led 7 or 10 people to a pub in the City called "Ye olde Cheshire Cheese." An Historic pub. "Get smashed where Dickens got smashed!" said one guide book about this pub. It is located off an alley on Fleet St. I felt like a bit of a tour guide leading all these people from Picadilly Circus onto a bus through Trafalgar Square and into the City of London, but I feel like I am really getting to know the street map of central London, especially near St. Paul's. The Pub itself was great. Lots of old and dark rooms, and actually a few bars. We went down to the cellar bar. It was very similar to a scene from Inglorious Bastard, if you have seen it.

Presently I am at the Museum of London, which explores the history of the City of London to Londinium, to the Thames in 500,000 BC. Exhibits on the Great Fire of London, The Black Death, Medieval London, Roman Londinium, and the geologic change in the River Thames. For example, the Thames used to be large and vast. Probably  as wise as the city itself. Now it is only a shadow of it's former self, a tidal canal instead of a roaring river!

11:45PM Went to the BBC Proms tonight. Paid 5 pounds for standing room in the arena right next to the stage. It was Prom 74, The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra performing Don Quixote and the Brahms Symphony. Absolutely stunning. Later in the evening, Yo-Yo Ma performed, but I left before that, since you needed a new ticket for that. And might I add that this world-class performance was not five minutes away from my residence on Hyde Park Gate. It just blows my mind.

Tomorrow is the Thames Festival from noon to 10. Very excited to see what it has to offer. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment