Monday, November 16, 2009

Finally, VENICE!

Hey guys, so thanks to a wonderful girlfriend of mine, I have now the first part of my travels, a direct travel log through Europe. I might edit later but here it is. Part I: Venezia!


23/10/09 06:15 I have just boarded the airplane.  I am now on my way towards the floating city of Venice.  Presently I am working off of 1 hour of sleep.  I have packed very light bringing only small socks and underwear and 6 t-shirts.  I only have a hoodie for an extra layer, which will be fine in 70 degrees Fahrenheit Italy, but I will need to purchase an overcoat before I go north of the Alps.  Presently, there is a screaming child next to me very upset because they have to sit next to me, I conclude. Ah, the mother and child moved on to appease the child, Wundebar!  I boarded the airplane from the ground, up the stairs from a fold out door of the plane.  I felt an urge to hold two peace signs before entering the plane, but suppressed it.  Now to get a few hours of shuteye before a wonderful 2 days in Venice!
            07:00 Looking out the window, I see an amazing site.  Almost a model train set of London before sunrise, all the lights illuminating the streets I see tiny trains and tiny cars amidst the map of London and in the horizon, the sky is a spectrum of color, from deep blue to dark red with everything in between.  You can see all the populated areas in comparison to the one light in the middle of darkness.  No street is straight in the UK     and it is brilliant to see the twists and turns from above.  I can now see the outskirts of this island and can vaguely see the shape of England.  Just breath taking. 
            [09:15]  I am over the Alps and it as beautiful or more so than I expected. It is straight from Lord of the Rings, I expect to see the Torch from Gondor up on the top peaks.  I can see small villages on the top of mountains, which seem so close to me from here.  A plateau is passing me now, with maybe six houses on it. What it must be like to live there.  I can see the outline of the continent now and the edge of  the Alps leveling out to flat ground.  I cannot put in words how beautiful it is from up here.  I only hope I can take a picture later in the week.  The whites of the snow end in a perfect line with the atmosphere of the clouds.  I hate to get spiritual but the glory of God is sounding like a trumpet here.  Now to land in this fair country. 
            13:00 Venice, or Venezia is breathtaking.  I first arrive from the coach from Treviso near the rail station Santa Lucia, from there, walked to my hostel, which is in the end of a small street that has no signs.  The man inside seemed friendly enough and gave me my key and told me to come back at or after 2pm.  Now I start to wander.  A beautiful city with streets no wider than 4 feet anywhere.  I wandered through the canals towards Campo Rocco, Compo S. Polo and towards the famous bridge Ponto di Rialto.  Everywhere, anywhere there are Gondolas steered by men in straw hats and striped shirts.   The Gondola itself is quite a luxurious boat, with velvet seats and very detailed designs.  I found my way towards Piazza San Marco, where I first discovered the elevated walkways.  These platforms are everywhere because quite often, most of the streets flood up from the drains.  So platforms are constructed throughout the city.  Around this time, I have not eaten for almost 10 hours and am running on about 2 hours rest interrupted finding my way back across the Ponto di Rialto, I found a “cheap” vendor.  I purchased a Rotolo filled with Prociutto and it was absolutely delicious.  Nice and warm a magnificent texture. I was very sad when it was gone.  I mistakenly bought a coke which cost (euro) 2.50, an exorbitant amount of money but we learn and move on.  It really is amazing how the water level is the same as the street level at some points and for some hotels the only way in is by canal entrance.  A magical city.

15:00 Sitting at the hostel, trying to plan out and figure out this place.  I am developing a list of what I MUST SEE before I head to Roma.  As I contemplate this, I realize that like those first days in London, I will hardly talk this week, but rather write about what I think and share through this medium.  The man who runs the hostel is very nice and has given advice on where to go and what is cheap areas of Venice.  So far, no WiFi or at least, I haven’t figured it out yet.  I am excited to take a Vaparetto down the Canal Grande to see the epic sites. I am rather worried about funds because I only have (euro)74 right now and a credit card.  That will have to last me until Friday. 
            19:00 Back at the hostel, I have now walked for about 6 hours today on only 2 hours rest.  This city is full (of) twists and turns that even I get confused.  For example; I had just walked across the bridge, north to San Marco, and thought I was going across the Canal Grande further upstream and I was excited to use the Gondola Ferry, where they stuff a lot of people, standing in the middle of the gondola.  It was pretty cool, but it took me to where I walked away from a half hour ago.  Very frustrating. Now the restaurants are open again (siesta in afternoon), so I plan to go get that great Italian food somewhere.                         

24/10/09 11:05 Today is a new non-rainy day in Venezia and what I wanted to explore is the water.  I bought a 12 hour pass for the Vaparetto to see all the islands I could get my feet on.  And so, after (euro)16 and a Canal ride through the Canal Grande, I now sit in Lima, a southern island of Venezia that has planned streets and cars even!  Sitting on a bench on the water, I looked up to see the city in all her glory, but whats behind makes the picture.  The Alps in their white snow capped splendor provide the backdrop.  This Island, Lima, is where the real Venetians live.  There are more markets here, you can get around by car, less souvenir shops and more Italians!
            13:10  Well I’ve had 2 meals for under (euro)10.  I decided to sit down and collect my thoughts at GINOS for some Pizza Prociutto with some water to drink.  I have been to Piazza di S. Marco and realized it was a Saturday in Venice and so left for a later time.  Also the post office closed at 1 so I had to jump on the vaparetto and get to the post office on the other side of the city near the train station.  I made it by 2 minutes to 1 and sent 3 postcards.  Presently the restaurant that I am in is very close to the Jewish Ghetto I walked through yesterday.  It is an island of itself and has memoriams and large walls with barbed wire on top.  This is still a highly Jewish community to remind us of those who were tortured and killed in the second World War.  On another note, I need a new pen, a fine point, a ball point is making my writing hard to read.
13:40 Quick note: move to Italy just for the food! Exquisite Pizza made for Kings!

17:00 Venice has very little places to sit on the main island.  I have been hopping on and off the Vaparetto, really trying to milk the (euro)16 it cost me.   I had an interesting encounter with an Italian at the bag check for St. Marks Basillica. When I got my bag, I said, “Gracie” to the man.  He just stared at me, not smiling, and responded, “You’re welcome” as if saying, “don’t pretend to be Italian.  I know you are American, I can hear that accent anywhere, you don’t have the right to use my language.” [There was a bit of contempt in his voice.  I found two friends from Temple London in Piazza di S. Marco, and I planned to have dinner with them.  We are meeting at the Rialto at 6pm, because they stay in Lima and their last ferry is at 8:30.  It will be good to talk to someone for a change.  I took the Vaparetto to Murano, one of the islands north of here where they make glass. The most beautiful sculptures with different colors and shapes.  The entire island seemed to base their economy off of glass.   The boat back was wonderful with the Alps in the background and the blue of the sea. I never think I’d be able to see this sight.  It is a place of the imagination, almost. 



23:27 Well for some reason, I thought in my mind 23:30 meant 12:30, and by LUCK, I arrived on a  Vaparetto from Rialto 10 minutes before the train left.  I was in Piazza di S. Marco at 11, simply strolling along towards the rail station.  There I simply listened to the music of Venezia, while I watched couples dance and vendors sell roses to them.  This was a scene that is from movies.  Some couples just held each other and swayed.  Some had full dance steps.  I was so caught up in this amazing world of stars and love, that my mind just failed to grasp the 24 hour clock.  But here I am. In seat 96, coach 7 on the 771 to Roma in a compartment with 4 others.  A young couple, the girl, falling asleep on his arm while the boy is talking to what seems to be a friend or relative who sits across from them.  In front of me by the window, a man 50-60’s reading a book with untrimmed pages.  I recognize the inside poetry maybe Dante, as the lines are numbered.  For dinner tonight, I dined with Amber and Caitlen  We ate in S. Marco.  I had spaghetti with real clams.  Deliciosa!  We had a bottle of Red wine for drink and planned to meet in Roma at 6pm on Monday to have dinner again.  After dinner, I took them to a site that all need to see, the Jewish Ghetto, and at night it is truly remarkable.  A wall filled with memories of torture and evil, then on the square, children playing hide and seek, soccer and having fun.  Giving new birth to a new meaning of this Piazza.  I have fallen in love with this city at night.  Yesterday it was raining and I fell asleep at 9pm.  But tonight, I saw the stars above Venice.  Now to sleep and wake in Roma!

No comments:

Post a Comment